March 01, 2011

Sea's Beef and Broccoli

Last nite I made  Beef and Broccoli and today a friend wanted the recipe. So the picture isn't the best because its the leftovers. :) But this is what I do when I make it.

Beef And Broccoli with Rice  Serves 3-4

1lb. beef round, sliced thin, I cut the steak in strips about 2-3 wide, then slice across the grain into very thin slices.
6 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. rice wine or dry sherry
1 1in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
Veg. oil
1 lb. of broccoli, I buy a bunch that has two or three good stems
2 1/2c. beef stock ( I either used canned or the beef stock paste added to water)
3 tsp. cornstarch mixed with about 1/4c. water
1 can sliced water chestnuts
Cooked white rice

Start your rice. I make mine with 1 part rice, 2 parts water and some salt. I let it cook till the water is almost gone, then I shut off the heat, cover it tight and let sit while I'm making the meal. By the time its done so is the rice. Fluff and its ready to eat.

Slice beef into very thin slices and put in a bowl with the soy sauce, sherry, garlic, ginger and a tb. or so of oil. I sometimes add a tsp of sesame oil for extra flavor if I have it. Let marinate for about a half hr. while your preparing other ingredients.

Peel broccoli stems to remove tough skin. Cut stems off and cut into bite size chunks. Separate the broccoli florets into small clusters. Set aside.

Put in a wok or lg. frying pan a tb or so of oil and let it get really hot. When ready, toss in about half the meat and stir fry till meat is brown but do not over cook or it will get tough. Remove the meat to a plate and do remainder. Remove second batch of meat and add beef stock. I either use 1 can of beef broth ( not bouillon ) and water to make the amt needed or you can use a bouillon cube. I have beef paste that chefs use to make stock so I use that. Swiss Knorr makes it but I have to buy it at a restaurant supply. If you can find it, its really good.

Bring stock to a boil and toss in broccoli. Bring back to a boil, lower heat to med. and cover. Cook about 5min. or so till the tough stems can be pierced with a fork but are still tender crisp. Add sliced water chestnuts.  Then add cornstarch mixture and stir till thickened. If too thick you can add a bit more water. When its the consistency you like, toss in the cooked beef and serve over the white rice.

No comments: