February 27, 2011

Mistake cookies OR Chocolate Chip Tuiles?

I made a trade with my egg lady. She would give me some Elk and I would bake something for her. Now her mom lives with her and shes elderly and has health issues. So she cant eat just anything. I decided I'm going to make an apple cake from the recipe the egg lady gave me. Its one of her families favorites and I got the feeling they don't make it much. It has nuts in it tho and the mom cant eat that. And so I said how about chocolate chip cookies. She said great , just no nuts.

And so yesterday I decided to make some dough for the cookies and put that in the freezer till I was able to bake them. Today I decided since the man was out , I would bake. It was a disaster. Its a typical Toll house cookie recipe but it called for nuts. Ok ez to omit. But then I thought why not make them a bit healthier by adding some oats. What I should have done was add oats to the recipe INSTEAD of the nuts. What I did was substitute 1c. of the flour with oats.

The dough looked fine and I rolled it in some plastic wrap and tossed it in the freezer. Today I took them out to slice and bake. I know you can bake froze cookie dough so I didn't bother to thaw. I put them on a silpat sheet on the baking sheet at 350 degrees. I have a convection oven so I always lower the heat 25degrees. Convection bakes faster.

I forgot to set the timer but when I opened the oven door.......omg. flat, spreading out, getting dark on the edges. I closed the door so they could finish and started wondering what to do. Checked again and took them out. Dark Brown, flat, looking nothing like what it was supposed to. It looked like a Tuile cookie tho. But  I thought they were burnt so I tossed that first batch out. Big mistake!

I decided to try again and the same thing happened. I let them rest a few min on the baking pan and then took them off to cool on a rack. My heart was breaking cuz these were supposed to be a gift. I decided to taste one when it cooled. I was surprised! They didn't taste burnt! What they did do is get caramelized and dark. They were thin and crispy and if I put them over a rolling pin when warm I could have made tuiles. They tasted pretty darn good so I finished making the rest of the dough.


My bf came in and I told him what happened . He tasted it and at first he didn't say much. He took another bite and handed it to me. I had already eaten two lol No thanks. So he finished it. He was expecting a typical Chocolate Chip Cookie but once he ate it he said they were good. In fact they were surprisingly good. And so I have a batch of cookies here for us and Ill have to make more dough and do it right this time. But some have requested for me to post my mistake cookies. So here it is. 



MISTAKE COOKIES OR CHOCOLATE CHIP TUILES

1 1/4c. flour
1c. oats
1 tsp. b. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. organic sugar
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tb. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. of semisweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. ( I did 350 for a convection oven.) In a small bowl combine flour, oats, b. soda and salt.  In a large bowl combine butter, sugars , and vanilla; beat till creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.Drop by tspfuls on baking sheet. Bake 8-10 min.

I rolled mine and wrapped it to freeze and sliced them later when I was ready to bake. Timing will depend on your oven so watch it closely. It will look chocolate chip cookie like then turn dark fast. I removed them when they were almost all dark, then let cool a min on the sheet. Do not put them close together. They will spread out. I got maybe 3 1/2 dozen from this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the heads up about the book store!! I love books and can imagine that I will be needing to block out 4-6 hours for this!!!

beeblessed
mary

Lili said...

Oh man, even your mistakes turn out wonderful! I didn't know about tuiles, that sounds pretty to curl them over a rolling pin. Have to look that one up. ~Lili