December 11, 2008

SEA'S CARROT CAKE

Ive had a request for my carrot cake. Ive had others ask too so I guess its about time I posted the one I use. This recipe is from the Silver Palate Cookbook. I just love that cookbook and use it for many things. I just tweak things to make them my own.


SEA'S CARROT CAKE serves 10-12

3c. unbleached all purpose flour
3c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tb. baking soda
1 tb. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 corn oil (I always use vegetable oil)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tb. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. shelled walnuts, chopped (sometimes I do half pecans too)
1 1/2 c. shredded coconut ( I like unsweetened when I can find it)
1 1/2 c. pureed cooked carrots (I shred mine fine and add to the cake mix)
3/4 c. drained crushed pineapple
1/4 c. finely chopped candied ginger (my secret ingredient)
Cream Cheese Frosting (follows)
Powdered Sugar for dusting top (opt.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9in. layer cake pans ( I use a bundt pan or a 13 x9 in. pan) lined with waxed paper. (easier to remove from pan but doesn't work with bundt pan if its ridged.)

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add oil, eggs, and vanilla. (If you do not have a good rich vanilla extract, add a bit extra.) Beat well. Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots, ginger and pineapple. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Set on middle rack of the oven and bake for 30-35min. until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. (Bundt pan and other sizes might have to bake a bit longer....test them)

Cool on a rack for 3hrs. Fill cake and frost sides with cream cheese frosting. Dust with powdered sugar. (I frost just the top of a 13 x 9 pan or the outside of the bundt cake, I don't make a filling. You could split the bundt cake tho if you wish and fill).

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

8 oz. cream cheese, at rm. temp.
6 tb. sweet butter, at rm. temp. (sweet butter is unsalted)
3 c. confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Juice of 1/2 lemon (opt.)

Cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Slowly sift in confectioners sugar and continue beating until fully incorporated. Mixture should be free of lumps. Stir in vanilla and lemon juice if you use it. Makes enough frosting for a 2 layer cake.

No comments: