December 13, 2008

Turkey Soup With Cheddar Dumplings

Today I made stock with the turkey carcass from my Thanksgiving dinner. I cleaned it of most of the meat and wrapped it that nite. Then I froze it. Its cold here now and the weatherman says its going to get much colder. In fact it may even snow. Im in sunny No. Ca. thats rare. So I decided to make the stock and warm up the house. I had this recipe below on hand and decided it was time to try it. I made a few changes to the recipe that Ill put in in parentheses wherever I did that.


Turkey Soup With Cheddar Dumplings

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, diced
3 3/4 cups turkey stock
2 cups water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
12 ounces chopped cooked turkey
chopped parsley for garnish if desired

Directions:

(I took about 8c. stock that I made today with one lg. onion and 3 garlic cloves, some salt and pepper and put it in another pot. I added some of the turkey meat from that too. To the soup pot I also added 2 stalks celery, a pinch of thyme and then followed the recipe. I didnt add the onion in the recipe since I made the stock with one.)


In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots and onion - cook for 4 minutes. Pour in stock and water - bring to a simmer, cover and cook until vegetables are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in cheese and corn. Mix in egg and milk - stir until the dough comes together.
Lightly flour your hands and form the dough into small balls - set on a plate.
(The recipe never said what size balls to make but from the picture I saw I figured they would expand a bit... so I made them about 2 in. across. They do expand some and next time I will make them much smaller, maybe an in. across. I put two in each of our bowls and we were stuffed.)

Add the turkey to soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil and add dumplings. Cover and cook until dumplings are cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.



These are pretty tasty, a bit like having cornbread with your soup and very filling which really surprised me. While the recipe doesn't call for Parmesan cheese on it , we put some on. We love cheese and this really added more flavor. I think next time tho I will add a bit more cheddar to the recipe. I didn't really taste it in there. Next time maybe 1 c. I also didn't have any frozen corn on hand so I just opened a can of it and used part. My bf loved the soup tho. Once I made the stock the rest was easy.

No comments: