December 30, 2007

VENISON AND MUSHROOM STEW


This is a rich luscious stew that I made yrs ago and just adore! Haven't made in in ages since I can't seem to get any venison but once I get up to Oregon you bet Ill be making it. Recipe calls for juniper berries which is usual to cut the gamey flavor of deer but I didn't have it when I made this so I just used Gin. The alcohol all cooks off anyway but the flavor remains.

Venison and Mushroom Stew

6 shallots, chopped fine
3/4 lb. bacon, chopped
1c. lard, recipe calls for this I don't have it. I use whatever I want, butter, oil, whatever. This is the one place to cut back on garbage in your recipe real ez.
3c. dry red wine, If you can drink it you can cook with it
6oz. can tomato paste, dissolved in 1c. beef broth
3c. brown stock or beef broth, I used beef broth, easier to get
2 1/4lb. mushrooms, I used button mushrooms but some nice crimini or morels would be good too.
3 tb. juniper berries, crushed ( or Gin)
Cheesecloth bag with 1 bay leaf, a pinch of thyme, pinch of sage, pinch of rosemary and the grated rind of 1 orange.
6lbs. of boneless shoulder of venison, cut into 1 1/2in. cubes
Flour for dredging
Buttered noodles

Directions:
In a kettle cook shallots and bacon in 1/2c.lard over med. heat, stirring 8min. Add wine, tomato paste mixture, garlic, stock, mushrooms, juniper berries, cheese cloth bag and orange rind. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20min. Season venison with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. In a large skillet, sear the meat in batches in remaining half cup lard over med. high heat and transfer to the kettle. Bake the stew, covered with foil and the lid in a preheated very hot oven (450degrees) for 1hr. and 45min. or till the meat is very tender. Discard cheesecloth bag and garnish with parsley. Serve with noodles.

No comments: