December 30, 2007

CAPE COD STUFFED SHRIMP


This is a dish I love to make when I can get Dungeness crabs cheap. When I make this tho I don't bake the shrimp first , nor do I cut them in half. I buy whatever shrimp size is on sale when I want to make it and just pile them in a baking dish and top with the stuffing mix. Then I bake it all till the shrimp are pink and the stuffing is nice and hot and crusty. In fact when I can get a crab cheap Ill make a batch of this stuffing and freeze it to use on fish fillets too. Sometimes when I want this Ill use the shrimp in the stuffing when I cant get crab and top fish fillets with that. Ive also made this with the fish and made several meals. Then I wrap each stuffed fish fillet separately and freeze them for when I need them. You want to be sure neither your shrimp, crab or fish has been frozen before tho. To do this they must all start fresh. I don't stuff each shrimp as the recipe says.........who has time. Mine looks more like the picture you see here but I will tell you its delicious!

CAPE COD STUFFED SHRIMP SERVES 4

12 large shrimp, shelled
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. sherry
1/2 c, shredded cheddar cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of garlic powder
1 tsp. onion salt
1 c. breadcrumbs
1/2 c. crab meat, flaked
1 tsp. chopped parsley
Paprika

Split shrimp lengthwise so they lie flat. Brush with melted butter. Bake on cookie sheet in 350 degree oven for 5 min. Remove from oven. Place in buttered baking dish. Make stuffing by adding to breadcrumbs the sherry, lemon juice, garlic, onion, cheddar cheese, parsley, crab meat and remaining butter. Mix stuffing lightly and pile on top of each shrimp. Top with a sprinkle of Paprika. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30min.



No comments: