January 18, 2008

Seas Chili Verde


Brown about 4lbs of pork , cut into chunks in a large pot in some oil. Do it in batches if you have to.


You want it browned, it adds so much more to the flavor. Put any browned in a bowl or plate and finish with the rest. I sprinkle mine with salt and pepper too while doing that .


Now chop one large onion and two garlic cloves. Add to pot while browning last batch of pork.


Add two cans of Green Chili sauce (enchilada), a can of chopped chilies and some water to cover. Bring to a boil then simmer. Add a good handful of chopped cilantro. I found this great product. Its fresh herbs in a tube. I keep it on hand when I don't have fresh in the house. Cilantro I don't use as much so having it this way is awesome. I put in a good squeeze or two and stir it in then simmer till the pork is falling apart tender, maybe 2hrs. Meanwhile cook some rice. How much depends on you. For this batch I used 3c. raw then cooked it to have enough for all this.


Towards the end I like to add a bit more cilantro to brighten the flavor. I like to simmer this uncovered until the sauce thickens. When pork is tender.......serve. We like to serve this over rice topped by sour cream and guacamole. My bf likes to add cheese on top. Sometimes I make burritos from this and freeze them for lunches. You could serve with refried beans but we find this is enough for us. This made 6 hearty servings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chile verde looks delicious! I'm going to try this!

Mo