August 13, 2007

QUICK BABY FOCCACIAS


I posted this last week on Melting Recipes but the picture was not of these. Since I made these last nite for our dinner, I thought Id post it here too. I bought a tube of the Pillsbury french bread dough the other day. I left it out on the counter for a bit while I was putting groceries away and doing things in the kitchen. I forgot about it till after dinner and then I heard a noise. Sounded like something fell onto a bag in there. When I went to look ......the tube had popped open and had dough oozing onto the counter! OmG I had forgotten to put it away, darn I hate getting old. So I took it out of the tube, plopped it in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator.

Last nite I figured I better use it fast so I made these small Foccacia breads for dinner. They were excellent! Many of us simply do not have time to make bread dough and wait for it to rise, etc. so using premade dough is a wonderful time saver. This called for using the breadsticks but the french bread caught my eye in the store so I bought that. It did need a bit more time in the oven and I don't know if it was my oven that was off or what so just watch them when you make them. They really don't take alot of time. They were delicious tho! And because there is only two of us here we didn't eat them all. I think tho cut up they would make some yummy croutons in a salad for another nite too.



QUICK BABY FOCCACIAS

I think that it is good to have a collection of recipes that are easy to make in a hurry both for quick homemade gifts and for panic food when guests drop in. This is one such recipe. It tastes marvelous, and no one will ever know that it came from a can, unless you forget to hide the can.

11 ounces canned or thawed frozen soft bread-stick dough
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
1 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
2 finely minced shallots
1 finely minced garlic clove
salt freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease the cookie sheets. Gently form the dough into eight five-inch circles. Drizzle each circle with olive oil. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over dough. Bake for eight to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments: