August 11, 2007

BAKED ZITI CASSEROLE



My bf has a cold so the other nite I decided to make something Italian. If your Jewish then where I come from we call chicken soup Jewish penicillin. (Don't attack me now for saying that, I grew up with Jewish kids in NJ. geez) In my house when your sick I cook something Italian that has lots of tomato sauce whether its spaghetti sauce or something using it and we call it Italian penicillin. You see it works! Everytime I do that and they eat it a couple days ,they get better fast. Tomatoes have lots of vit. C in it. So today I decided to post my blog recipe for what I made for dinner the other nite.
I made Baked Ziti.

The first time I made this was for my in-laws 40 Anniversary party that I catered at their house for them. My in-laws were full blooded Italian and they knew good food. The whole family was raving over this , they couldn't believe how good it was. I laughed and said it took a lil Polish girl like me to teach all you Italians how to make it right!!
So here it is..........

BAKED ZITI CASSEROLE Serves 8

1 lb. ziti pasta
1 container (1lb.) ricotta cheese
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, diced
1/2 c. grated Parmesan ( I use Romano cuz mom in law did)
1 egg
3/4 tsp. salt- 1/4 tsp. pepper (you could use more, to taste)
6c. homemade spaghetti meat sauce

Cook Ziti and drain, following label directions. While pasta is cooking, make filling. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, S & P in a large bowl. Layer ziti, filling and meat sauce in a 13 x 9 x 2 in. baking pan, starting and ending with meat sauce. Bake in moderate oven (350) 40 min. or till bubbly hot.

This is like lasagna but without all the work. I frequently make a quicky meat sauce from Classico Tomato w/Basil sauce. It tastes just like tomatoes I used to can from my garden.

You can add more of different cheeses if you like, Ive added domestic provolone to the others when I didn't have enough of mozzarella. Also my in laws always used Locatelli Romano cheese on all their spaghetti type things. Its a bit stronger tasting and we love it. Sometimes I don't even layer this I just mix it all up in a huge bowl, add some of the sauce , plop it in the pan then top with more cheese and sauce. Its pretty forgiving.

I promised the bf leftovers the next nite but I made ribs instead cuz I didn't have room in my freezer for them. He was disappointed. I guess that's what he will get tonite then Pssssssssst btw I didnt have any ziti in the house so I used rigatoni. You can see that in the picture.

No comments: