November 17, 2012

Smoked Sausage, Potato soup

I saw a couple recipes for potato and sausage soup while wandering online. I thought Kielbasa would be yummy like this. And so today cuz its cold and raining out all day, I decided to make this. This is not the original recipe tho. As always I tweak things to make them mine. But it goes together fast and the only real cooking is the potatoes to get soft. So if your looking for a fast meal, this works good with a nice crusty bread with butter.

My bf said its really good. I asked him if its good enough to make again and he said yes. When that happens, then I post it here for all of you.......why? Cuz hes picky so if he likes it I know many others will too. Enjoy.

Smoked Sausage, Potato soup- Makes 2-3 servings.

1c. diced onions
1tb. butter
2tb. flour
5-6 small or med. potatoes, peeled and diced
1qt. chicken broth ( I used my own that I can)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
S and P to taste
8oz. smoked sausage, diced or sliced ( I used Kielbasa)
1/3 of a bag of frozen spinach
1/2 tsp cajun spice
1/4 tsp. ground garlic
1c. half and half
Parmesan cheese

1. In a large sauce pot over moderate heat, saute onions in butter until very soft (about 10-15 minutes), stirring frequently. Add flour and cook for 3 more minutes.

2. Add potatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very soft (about 30 minutes).

3. Add sausage. Continue simmering for 5 more minutes. Stir in spinach, Cajun spice, and garlic. Add half and half and heat thru. Serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top.

No comments: