November 08, 2012

Pumpkin Crumbcake

I must say this turned out really good. My bf loves it and I gave some to a friend and she loved it too. Its from another recipe that I tweaked some to make my own. I found the original way too sweet for my taste. 

Pumpkin Crumbcake 

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
15 oz can pumpkin ( or 2c. fresh pumpkin)
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt 

TOPPING:
1c. sifted all purpose flour
3/4c. light brown sugar ( I use dark brown since that what I have around), firmly packed
4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2c. butter




Make topping: Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter; blend till mixture is crumbly. I use a pastry blender to cut the butter in. Mix well. 

 When ready to top cake, take handfuls and squeeze gently together to make the crumbs stick together.

 Gently break them up as you sprinkle over the top of the cake. You want to have some small and some lg. chunks of crumb.   
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub butter on the inside of a 9in. spring-form pan,  set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until well blended. 
 Add the pumpkin and eggs and mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Mix on medium speed until combined. 
 Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  

Sprinkle the streusel over the cake batter. Bake for 1hr or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I found mine needed about 15min. more.) (You may need to cover it at some point while baking if the streusel starts to get too dark. You do not want it to burn.)
 Cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Cool completely. Cover and store at room temperature.  To serve you can sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top to garnish.



(For two round cakes: coat two 8-inch rounds with non-stick spray and place a circle of parchment in the bottom. Divide the batter between the two pans, top with the streusel  and bake for approximately 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.)
* I did make the 8in, pan recipe first using only half a recipe of this cake. If you want a quick one thats easier to do. A full recipe like I did in the springform pan takes awhile to bake. Its a very moist cake.

No comments: