October 11, 2011

Green Chili Salsa

Tomatillos were on sale so I bought 3 lbs. I love green chili salsa so I thought Id like to try to make my own. I found this recipe and a day later was out at the store again so I bought more tomatillos and Anaheim chilies. Sadly I didn't buy enough of the chilies and I was NOT going back again but it still turned out yummy. I found this recipe in Preserving the Harvest.
 Green Chile Salsa
18 (I only had 10) poblano or Anaheim chilies
10 cups/4 lbs coarsely chopped, husked tomatillos with juice
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice (12 limes)
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup water
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt

1. Place the chilies on a hot grill and roast, turning throughout, to blister the skins, about 15 minutes. (I have a gas stove so I did mine on the burners, blistering them then putting them in a covered bowl till they were all done.)
2. Discard the skins, membranes and seeds from the chilies. Wearing gloves will help protect your skin. Chop the chilies coarsely and combine with the tomatillos in a heavy nonreactive saucepan. (Recipe says with juice from the tomatillos but mine didn't have any so I added the water from the recipe now.)

3. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the onions, lime juice, cilantro, water, and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
4. Add salt. Stir well.
5. Ladle into hot, clean jars. Cap and seal.
6 Process in a boiling water bath canner for 30 minutes.  

 The recipe called for 18 chilies but I only had 10 and wasn't going to go to the store for more. It still came out yummy. However I do like a bit more heat so next time Ill either get more chilies or toss a chopped jalapeno in. Plus this recipe calls for things to be coarsely chopped and it really doesn't cook long so they dont break down. I dont like big chunks like that so I zapped the cooked salsa with an immersion blender for just a few seconds to break some of it up and make it more saucy. Next time I will chop things much finer.

I added a jar of this to my regular chili recipe. http://mermaidstreasures.blogspot.com/2007/09/its-good-day-for-chili.html  I use either canned chilies or when I dont have them I use green chili salsa. This time I added both the regular canned chilies and a jar of this. It was the best chili Ive ever made so Ill be making it that way from now on. I did tweak my chili recipe and added a tsp. or two of ground cumin and an extra Tb. of my chili mix but I did make a big batch of chili too.....using 4lb. of beef chunks this time.


I added a jar to my Honey Lime Enchilada sauce too before I poured it over them. It was awesome. So you can see theres lots of uses for this.

No comments: