April 04, 2011

Mushroom-Lemon Thyme Rice



I went to grocery shop for a few things the other day. I found country ribs on a buy one get one free sale. I like to use those for so many things. But because I was out all day and tired when I got home,  I decided last nite to just put my BBQ rub on them and bake them off , then sauce them and bake a bit more. My bf got home before me so  he ate late. No one was really hungry yet so this was a good idea. This way dinner could bubble away slowly in the oven till we were hungry. And so I made buttered broccoli and a Mushroom/Lemon thyme rice. Dinner was great. 


And there's some leftovers I think Ill combine and freeze to use for fried rice another time. I mixed the leftover broccoli, rice, and some of the BBQ pork ribs, chopped fine,  together and when I decide to make the fried rice, all Ill have to do is fry up a few more veggies and add the frozen rice mix with some soy and ginger and garlic. And there will be either a quick dinner or a nice side dish for something else.


Mushroom Lemon Thyme Rice serves 4

1/4c. chopped onion
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini)
1 tb. olive oil + 1 tb. butter
1c. rice
2c. chicken broth
1 tb. fresh chopped lemon thyme (you could add more if you love a stronger flavor)
1 garlic clove, minced
Parmesan cheese
S & P

Put oil and butter in a lg. frying pan. When butter is melted toss in chopped onion. Sauté 5 min., then add sliced mushrooms. Sauté till veggies begin to brown a bit. Add rice and stir well sautéing till rice begins to get a bit brown too. Add chicken stock.


Add garlic and lemon thyme stir well and cover with lid. Taste and see if it needs S & P and adjust the seasonings. Cook until almost all the broth is absorbed. At that point shut heat off and let sit 10-15min. till rest of broth is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Stir in about a 1/4c. of Parmesan cheese and stir. Serve.

1 comment:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Great rice minds think alike, MT! Happy Easter!