March 28, 2011

Honey Butter Glazed Cornbread

The family had a BBQ this past weekend and I was asked to bring my baked beans. I wanted to make something else to bring too and thought cornbread would be nice. My bf loves bread with every meal. Now I have pkg. mixes on hand for when I'm in a hurry. And Ive tried other cornbread recipes but was never really happy with the results. They were either too dry or bland.

Now I know there are cultural differences when it comes to cornbread here in the USA. But I personally like a moist bread that's a bit sweet. This bread is that. I looked for recipes online and printed out a few. This one however kept calling me and I'm glad I listened to that. I also saw online some folks drizzle honey on the bread before baking. And I talked to a few friends and one of them told me about making a glaze with honey butter. That sounded totally yummy. And because there were going to be alot of kids I didn't want a bread that I had to have extra butter for . Kids would make a mess.

So I doubled this recipe and baked it in a 13 x 9 pan. I have a convection oven and so in mine it baked for about 25min. I tested it and it was done and a nice golden brown. Then I topped it with the honey and butter and baked it a few min. more. I decided to cut the bread into squares here so there would be less to do there. This way I knew everyone would get a piece too. The bread was a hit and everyone had several pieces. This one is a keeper for me. The only thing Ill do different is perhaps use just a bit less sugar because with the honey glaze its sweet.......not too sweet but sweeter than I thought it would be. But it doesn't need anything more, just cut and serve.
 

Honey Butter Glazed Cornbread

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs  
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal (I used Bobs Red Mill)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt  
Honey to drizzle  and extra butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). You can make in an 8 inch   square pan or cook in a cast iron or other oven proof skillet. 
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Quickly add the eggs and whisk until well blended.  Whisk in the  buttermilk. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt in 3 portions until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
I use buttermilk powder that you reconstitute. I get it at the health food store but I think some grocery stores carry it too. I doubled this recipe since I made it for a big BBQ. I only had 1c. of real buttermilk in my refrigerator so I made up the second cup with the powder buttermilk and milk. They say to use water but I wanted milk in it.

When the cornbread was almost done, I put several pats of butter on the top of it and drizzled it with honey, then returned to the oven for about 5min. of so to glaze the bread.

No comments: