July 19, 2009

Sea's Creamy, Crummy Blueberry Pie

We love blueberries around here so when I went to Costco. this week I bought a big container full. When I got it home I realized, that was a lot of blueberries. I'd freeze them for later on but I'm trying to clean out the freezers for the move. So I decided to try to use as many as I could in a pie. I found a recipe for a creamy blueberry pie and made some changes. This is what I came up with:

Creamy Crummy Blueberry Pie Makes 1 10in. deep dish pie

5 cups fresh blueberries
1 (10 inch) deep dish pie crust
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tb. white sugar
1 tb. flour


1. Combine the 1tb of white sugar with the 1tb. flour. Roll out pastry and fit to pie plate. Trim edge decoratively. Sprinkle the sugar/flour mixture over the bottom and sides of the pie shell. This is to absorb any extra juices and keep the crust from getting soggy.

2. Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon and salt. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, stirring until blended.

3. Place blueberries in pastry shell, and spoon sour cream mixture over berries.

4. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour. Cut in butter or margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles course meal.

Sprinkle this mixture over sour cream mixture and berries in the pie shell. We like big crumbs so I squeeze some together in my hand first , then sprinkle the chunks over the berries.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until lightly browned.

4 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful pie Sea, I learned a new technique too-thanks for the recipe

Laurie said...

We love anything blueberry in our house, and your pie looks totally yummy!

So nice to find your blog.

Sea Witch said...

OMG, I came to thank you for stopping by my blog but got sidetracked with this amazing creamy blueberry pie receipe. My husband is a blueberry lover and I have to make this for him NOW. Wanted to say I feel your pain with a new camera. Sometimes they really do too much and it takes a while to discover what they can do. I say, get smart on the few things you need to know. follow your "eye" when taking pics and shoot away. All of the other gadgets and gizmoes will come later. Sea Witch

Sea Witch said...

Had to leave a follow up comment about this magnificent pie. I made this for my honey when he returned home and it was excellent. One of the easiest pies I have ever made and what flavor. This is a winner and I will be making this often as my love enjoys is fresh blueberries. Thanks again for stopping by my blog, apprecaite your comments and I lighted up the lettering so it is easier on the eyes. Swim joyfully through life. Sea witch