November 20, 2008

Italian Turkey Stuffing

This is my Mother in laws recipe for Italian Turkey Stuffing. This is what is tradition in my family. Depending on the size of the bird depends on how much bread is used. But there's always more than the bird needs. So I bake the extra in a big crockery bowl that I spread some soft butter in so it doesn't stick. I also baste it with some of the broth that I make for my gravy to keep it moist while baking. Sometimes when I don't have a lot leftover, Ill make Stuffing Muffins. I put the stuffing in lg. muffin cups and bake it that way so there are individual servings. Then I can freeze these for another time.

Italian Turkey Stuffing

1/2 stick of butter
2c. celery and the leaves, chopped
1-2 onions, chopped
fresh parsley
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. sausage meat (I buy the tube of Jimmy Deans reg. sausage)
1-2 loaves of Italian bread or sourdough ( I add an extra loaf if the bird is huge)
2-3 eggs
turkey giblets (except the liver) and neck, cooked with celery leaves in water or chicken stock (save stock)
1/2 tsp. oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

First cook the giblets in the water so its all ready for making the stuffing. I like to start this early and just let it simmer to tenderize the giblets and get as much flavor as possible. You may have to add more water or stock as it cooks. Once its done, continue with recipe.

Fry the sausage meat till brown, drain fat and put in a lg. bowl. Slice mushrooms if not bought sliced and saute in the butter. Add to sausage in the bowl.

I use a food processor for the next part. Cut veggies up in lg. chunks to fit processor. Grind celery and leaves, onion and parsley till in small pieces. Grind giblets but not neck.Dump into lg. bowl with sausage and mushrooms.

Soak bread in water. ( I cut mine up and let it dry a day or so. This helps it from becoming mush) Squeeze excess water out from bread and add to lg. bowl.

Add eggs, oregano, salt and pepper to lg. bowl and mix some. Then add some stock to it, mixing well. What I look for is a sloppy wet stuffing. It does dry out some as it bakes. But we like a very moist dressing so add enough stock to make it sloppy before baking.

To taste to correct seasoning: Melt some butter in a frying pan and take a sm. scoop of the stuffing and cook it like a patty in the butter. I like to brown it on both sides and then let cool to taste. This gives the cook ( me ) a chance for a snack cuz by now I'm starving since I start this before breakfast. It also gives you a chance to see if the flavor is balanced and if there's enough spices. If not add more and test again.

When stuffing tastes right....take the rest and stuff it lightly into the bird both the back end and the neck end. Bake as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi to all, how іs the ωholе thing, I
think every one іs getting more from this wеb sitе, and your vіews are faѕtidious for new ρeople.


Hеre is my weblog: Amazon