August 12, 2008

Swedish Meatballs

A friend of mine was looking for a recipe for this so I posted this for her. Her hubby loves them. But I got this recipe many yrs ago from a friend of my own. She used to serve them at parties and they were so delicious! So when I had my own I had to make them.

Swedish Meatballs Serves 6

1 1/2c. soft breadcrumbs(5-6 slices of white bread)
3/4 c. milk
3 tb.onion, finely chopped
4 tb. butter
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. flour
1 c. beef bouillon, stock or cream (or evaporated milk)

Soak bread crumbs with milk. In fry pan, saute onion and 2tb. butter, till soft. Add this mixture to bread crumbs. Add this to beef, seasonings and egg. Form meatballs 1inch. Roll meatballs in flour (it gets sticky doing this). Saute them in last 2tb. butter for 10min. or till light brown. Add cream. Cover and simmer for 5min. Remove meatballs to serving dish. Thicken gravy with 1-1 1/2tb. flour blended with equal amts. of water. Pour over meatballs and serve.

When I make this I like a beefier gravy so I use half stock and half cream. But you can use whatever combo you like best. I often make these for parties. People love them.

1 comment:

Mother Effingby said...

I used to make these all the time. I found a recipe which includes applesause and cardamom! Which is how I make mine, along with all the other lovely spices and fillers. I have also discovered the pleasure of seasoning some of my dishes with Herbes de Provence. I am going over to read your plum apple butter delight...I am quite intrigued! I have a hankerin' for some toast.
In the oven now, waiting for the man and kiddoes to get home from Chincoteague: Slowly braised pork in cider. All day. I wish I had a crock pot, sometimes....and the counter space that would go with it!