August 07, 2008

APPLE-PLUM BUTTER


This is my breakfast this morning. I had leftover biscuits from the other day so I warmed them, topped them with butter and apple-plum butter I made the other day. You all know Ive got a bunch of plums so Ill be trying to use them up.

This is very tasty tho and is a nice surprise. Some of you know Ive been looking for a recipe for yrs and yrs for something I ate at a Pennslyvania Dutch place I went to as a lil girl with my gramma. They served 7 sweets and 7 sours on the table and the food was family style. But the thing that stuck with me all these yrs was something I had .......it looked like plums but didnt taste quite like it. I searched and searched to see if there were traditional things served but nothing ever seemed right. After making this....I tasted it and OMG THIS IS IT!!!!

So heres the recipe for it and if I made it again , I think Id tweak the sugar a bit. It seemed like a lot and it did get nice and thick. But it is a bit sweeter than I remembered it being.

APPLE-PLUM BUTTER

2lbs. slightly underripe red plums, quartered
2lbs. tart apples, quartered
2c. unsweetened apple juice
3c. sugar
2tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine plums, apples and apple juice in a heavy non aluminum lg. saucepan. Bring to a boil over med. heat. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer 25min. stirring occasionally. Uncover and cooktill fruit is very tender, stirring occasionally (20-30min)

Cool slightly and force thru a food mill discarding peel and seeds. Return puree to pan and add sugar and cinnamon. Bring to boil over med. heat, stirring constantly. (Can scorch easy so watch it) Reduce heat and simmer till thick and glossy. Remove from heat and spoon into hot sterilized jars and seal.

Butter can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3wks or processed in a boiling water bath (15min. for pts. or 10min. for 8oz. jars) and can be kept on a cool, dark shelf for 1yr.

Makes 3pts. or 6 halfpts.

No comments: