July 06, 2008

PIZZA FONDUE


I used to make this for parties and there's never any left. I sometimes even made it for dinner for us. The kids love to play with their food and this was a nice leisurely meal while we watched a movie. Now they make it for their own families.

PIZZA FONDUE

2 tb. butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb. chopped beef (you can add a bit of italian sausage out of the casing too)
1 (10 oz.) cans of tomato sauce or pizza sauce.. I use Contadina
1 tsp. fennel seed (opt).
1 tsp. cornstarch
10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
10 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
Garlic bread cubes to dip into it

Brown meat and onion in the butter. Add sauce, fennel seed, and cornstarch. Stir well. When hot and bubbly add the cheeses and serve. Use garlic bread to dip. Fennel seed does make a difference so try not to eliminate it if you can. Thats what is in many Italian sausages on the east coast. In many other areas tho they dont put that in.

Don't stir the cheeses in too good because they will just blend in. We like it gooey so I just stir it in and once its melted I serve it. I kept mine hot in a fondue pot but becareful because the bottom can burn. If you have a nice size crock pot tho that's better.

I make homemade garlic bread but when I'm in a hurry I buy packaged.

For my garlic bread: I throw a stick of butter , a couple garlic cloves and some S&P in a food processor. Zap till soft and blended. Spread on a split loaf of Italian or sourdough bread. Sprinkle with some parsley and Parmesan cheese and bake at 400 degrees till bubbly and brown. Cut into chunks to serve.

***I have frozen leftovers. While the cheese does blend more with the sauce, it still tastes good. I used to keep it around even for snacks in small microwavable containers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids would love that! I've recently decided to take a break from eating cheese and now every where I turn it taunts me.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I'm going to have to make this for the kids on the weekend, I think they will love this fondue idea.