June 08, 2008

Beet Salad with Ranch Dressing

Last nite I marinated some steaks. I was going to make it an ez meal , just steak and salad. When I started pulling out stuff for my salad I realized I didn't have any tomatoes. All I had was lettuce and cucumber. Great....now what? So I started to dig around in the pantry to see what I could find and I came across a can of sliced beets.

I asked my bf if he liked beets cuz I know I do but haven't made them in ages. I don't recall ever making them for him. Good thing he likes them. My next thought was ok now what? I remembered recently reading something about beets with ranch dressing. Well I guess it could be good, I like both. So after I made the dressing this is what I came up with. It was YUMMY! And Ill be making it again........next time tho I'm going to plan for it and buy some fresh beets to roast. Roasted beets are the best made that way, much sweeter.

Beet Salad with Ranch Dressing
1 can (1lb.) sliced beets, drained well
3 green onions, sliced thin
S & P
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 cucumber, peeled and halved then sliced
Mixed lettuces
Homemade Ranch dressing (follows)

Wash lettuce and dry well, Rip apart into bite size pieces and put on flat tray or bowl. Add cucumbers and toss. In a small bowl put sliced beets, onions, S & P, and dill and mix well. When ready to serve, top lettuce with beet mixture and drizzle with a bit of dressing. Pass rest of dressing at table.
If this has to sit awhile do not put the dressing on at all until your ready. It will turn fluorescent pink!

Ranch Dressing
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
* 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.


ROASTED BEETS

SERVES 4
1-1/2 pounds medium red beets, peeled and quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the beets in a small roasting or baking dish in one layer. Drizzle with the oil. Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.
Note: If you can get baby beets, roast them whole with the peel on. The peel will slip off easily when cooked.

4 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Sea, I love beets-thanks for the wonderful recipes

Anonymous said...

Roasted beets are one of my favorites! These recipes are nice and light for summer. Do you garden?

Anonymous said...

I don't really like beets but I've been needing a ranch dressing recipe. Thanks!
It finally warmed up here in Portland. I think it will be 70 today and it's bright and sunny. Hurry and move to OR before it starts raining again. :)

Anonymous said...

I just tagged you for a meme at eatmyyard.com.