Ive been strolling thru lots of food blogs online, looking to see whats out there and how people set theirs up and what they write about. I'm working on my blog too. I want to be unique but there are so many out there its going to be hard. I find that in the realm of chefs, to me , my blogs look amateur but I find so many of you and many folks in real life love what I put here or what I tell them when they ask for ideas and such. So I figure my niche must be in the middle somewhere between the big time chefs and the home cooks. Its ok. I didn't have anything to prove and I like what I do but if no one else did then this blog would be a waste of time. I'm trying to get a readership here for when I open my business. I know it will take time.
While strolling thru the other blogs I ran across an interesting one that spoke of another blog they saw. It had a list of 50 foods you must try before you die. They said so many people added to that list that there's well over 1600 foods listed by others there. So that blogger thought 50 would take alot of time and narrowed her list to five. I like that idea.....I'm curious as to what everyone thinks is delicious and must be tried. So I'm going to make my list of 5 items and then I want you all to add yours to the comments. Lets see what interesting things everyone comes up with.
1. Sauteed polenta with Gorgonzola cheese sauce- When we were creating a new menu for the restaurant my chef came up to me with a plate of this and asked me what I thought of it. He wanted to use it as a side dish. OMG Its was positively the most sensual, comforting thing I had ever eaten. The polenta is sauteed after being cooked and molded in a pan and sliced. When it gets golden brown you top it with a Gorgonzola cheese sauce.......its crunchy and creamy. I told him do not waste it as a side dish. Feature it as an appetizer....and he did and we sold tons of it so I guess everyone agreed with me. I could have eaten that every day (and did as often as I could there! lol)
2. A fresh ripe tomato right from the garden- There is nothing in the world like a tomato, warm from the sun and sooooo juicy. And I'm a Jersey girl so there's nothing better than a Jersey tomato!
3. Homemade bread- The act of making it alone brings back memories of the past and comforting thoughts. Baking it , the smells in the house are heavenly and eating it.......there's nothing like fresh baked bread with gobs of really good butter on it. Its a total sensory experience.
4. Fresh figs with Gorgonzola cheese- These were part of an appetizer plate we sold at the restaurant and I couldn't get enough of them. The sweet, tart taste of fig with the salty creamy cheese was a perfect combo. But I just adore figs anyway.
5. Curried Banana soup- Again another thing I made at the restaurant. I never had anything like it before. I don't usually like cold soups... this was a creamy luscious banana flavor ,spiced with curry lightly and topped with a dollop of sour cream and mango chutney. I ate it every single day it was on our menu.
So those are my five altho I'm sure over time Ill think of more. Tell me what 5 things you think we should all try before we die.
I don't want you to copy my list, my list is my suggestions and ...... I don't want you to tell me what you would LIKE to try. I want you to tell everyone what you have tasted , that you adore that THEY must taste before they die.