November 11, 2007

THANKSGIVING SOUPS

We have a soup before our Thanksgiving day dinner each yr. The one I usually make is called Curried Corn Soup. Many yrs ago when my children were small , a bunch of my friends and I got together to from a daytime ladies gourmet group. Once a month we would create a menu and cook it for the others. We got to try out many new recipes we might not have tried
otherwise. One of my friends made this soup and it was sooooooooooo yummy! I never would have put these ingredients together and yet they blend beautifully. I love the fact that its easy to make too using canned corn. If you love creamed corn this soup is for you. It is the only time of year I make it and my kids always look for it.









CURRIED CORN SOUP Makes 8c.


2 tb. butter
2 tb. chopped shallots or green onions
2 cans (1lb. each) creamed corn
1 can (1 lb.) whole corn, drained

2 c. half and half
1/2 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
1 tsp. curry powder

Saute shallots. Add rest of ingredients. Stir while heating thru. Watch heat , it can scorch.

I have used 4 (1lb.) cans or creamed corn too and regular milk and its still very good. I now have found I can use fat free half and half in this type of soup and it tastes just as good without the fat.

Last year I decided to try a new recipe. At first my family said "what no corn soup?" and were disappointed till they tasted this. Now they are asking are you making Crab Bisque this year?
They are tough critics so I figure its really good. And this is also another one of those easy soups to make.









CRAB BISQUE Serves 8

2 tb. butter
1 tsp. onion, finely chopped ( I have found I just grate a bit)
1 tb. parsley finely chopped
1 1/2c. crab meat, chopped
2 tb. flour
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. light cream
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt

In saucepan melt the butter. Add the onion and cook slowly till golden. Add the crabmeat and parsley and cook over low heat stirring constantly. (about 4min.) Add the flour, stir to blend and cook for 3min. more. Stir in the chicken broth and simmer gently for 20 min. Keep pan partially covered. Add the cream and cayenne pepper. Heat and add salt to taste.


We can get Dungeness crabs around here so if I find a sale on them I will buy a big one, clean it the day before and put the meat in the freezer till I make the soup. Ive also used the lg. king crab legs too when they are on sale. If you want to stretch it tho you could add some shrimp too.

No comments: