September 28, 2007

Perfect day for Clam Chowder


Fall is on its way ...today its chilly and raining. Its the first day in months I'm wearing long pants and a sweater! And I love it! Its been way too hot this summer. So last nite I made some Clam Chowder and I'm having some for lunch as I type this too. So I thought I'd post it on here today for those who have never made it. This is my version from a recipe I found many yrs ago in a cookbook I have.
I know there's pros and cons of clam chowder all over......some like with bacon some don't. We do and I don't like alot of potatoes too. I hate going to restaurants and that's about all that's in that so called chowder. I want to taste the clams! So here's my version and last nite for the first time I added celery because I realized I always liked the ones that have it when I eat out.
SEANYMPH'S CLAM CHOWDER Makes about 8 servings
3 slices bacon
1 lg. onion, chopped (1c.)
5-6 tb. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4c. milk or 1 qt. fat free half and half
4 cans (about 6 1/2-7oz. each) minced clams
2 bottles clam juice
4 med. size potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2in. dice
2 stalks celery, diced
2tb. chopped parsley
1/2tsp. thyme

Cook bacon in lg. heavy pot about 8qt. size, till crisp. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels, crumble and reserve. (I cut mine up first when I do this, its quicker).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add onion and celery to bacon fat in pan; saute till tender, about 3min. Stir in flour, salt and pepper, and thyme; cook 1min.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Whisk in milk or half and half ( I love it better with half and half but I don't always have it on hand here) until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly till thickened and bubbly: lower heat to simmer.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Drain liquid from clams into a med. size pan; reserve clams. Add bottled clam juice and potatoes. Simmer till potatoes are tender, about 15 min.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add potatoes and their cooking liquid to the milk mixture; heat just till bubbly. Add clams; heat 1 min. more . Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

***If you wish to substitute fresh clams for canned, buy the large chowder clams (you will need about a qt.) Have them shucked and reserve the liquor. Strain and measure the liquor (you will need 1 1/2c.) If the measure is short, add bottled clam juice. Follow the recipe as for canned clams.

Since I rarely can find clams around here I use canned. Its quicker too and I can keep them on hand for days like this when I want to make it and its icky out. If you can get fresh tho go for it, I would.

No comments: