August 08, 2007

Seanymphs Greek Chicken


I love Greek food. Next to Italian it is one of the classics. There's a few flavors that just always seem to go together and make anything yummy. I would eat Greek food every day if I could!

Years ago I went to a Greek restaurant in AZ. called Bacchanal. My ex and I were there and found this place. Its still there , here's the URL. http://bacchanalgreekaz.com/home.html
This place is like a big Greek wedding, music, belly dancers, breaking dishes on the floor, dancing and even some of the patrons getting up to sing! I had a blast. They dragged us up there on the dance floor, made us take off our shoes even and then they took all the shoes and put them in a box and took it away! You had no choice then but to dance lol. It was fun,,,,,line dancing all over , even out in the parking lot. Once it was done they dumped the shoes in the middle of the floor and you had to find yours. I really felt like I was in Greece.
But the food........omg.....
I had spanikopita, shrimp corfu and baklava. I never forgot that shrimp tho, shrimp baked with feta cheese and spicy tomatoes. Now I dont make shrimp much and one day while on my low carb diet, I thought why not try it with chicken. So this is my version of a Greek chicken dish. It was inspired by the Shrimp Corfu. Now don't go writing me saying this was granny's long lost recipe for Greek chicken. There's nothing new under the sun, just gets reinvented or rediscovered. This was my creative venture , trying to put as much flavor into a dish on a low carb diet.

GREEK CHICKEN A LA SEA serves 3-4

4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 lg. red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced fine
4 zucchini, quartered then sliced
1 (16oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
olive oil
oregano, thyme, salt and pepper
about 8oz. feta cheese

Saute chicken in a bit of olive oil. They don't have to be cooked thru just browned. Remove to platter. Add onion and garlic and saute till soft and slightly browned, scraping up any browned chicken bits. Add more oil if needed to do this. When almost done add sliced zucchini and soften and brown it with the rest, about 10min. Add whole can tomatoes, juice and all. Add about a tsp of oregano and a half tsp. thyme. Cook 5min. and taste. Some spices are older and don't have alot of flavor so if you cant taste them much add a bit more at this time. Add chicken pieces , burying them in the vegetables so they are covered and simmer about a half hr. If there isn't much juice I add a bit of chicken stock to the pan. When chicken is tender top with feta cheese and cook 10min. more.

As it is its a good low carb meal for me. I don't even miss the extras but if you aren't on a diet or don't care add some rice or some nice crusty bread to sop up all the juices. If I dont have any zucchini in the house (or garden) I sometimes use a 16oz. bag of frozen string beans.

No comments: