September 06, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler Cake

I went to buy eggs from the egg lady again the other day. While I was there she said I could pick more berries. Good thing I kept the basket in my car. But since I didn't expect to go berry picking, I really didn't have on the right shoes to go stomping in the woods. I slipped a few times and even lost my sandal so I stopped picking. I did however get about another 7c. or so. I rinsed them well and let them dry. And then I decided this time to use them fresh in a dessert. I looked online for cobblers but really didn't want that but wasn't sure exactly what I wanted. I did find one however that I liked somewhat, so I decided to do what I always do and tweak it to my own tastes. This is the result. Its really yummy.

Blackberry Cobbler Cake  Serves 8-10

12 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks)

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal

4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or Flor di Sicilia extract, I have a copy cat in my postings)
Zest of 1 orange

4 1/2 cups Blackberries (or a mix of berries)

¼ cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a rack in the lowest position. Put butter in a 9 x 13in. pan. Put in oven to melt. Remove from oven once melted.
   
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar until well combined. Add the buttermilk, vanilla and orange zest and whisk batter until just combined.  Please do not over mix. Pour batter into the baking dish on top of the melted butter; do not stir.

Sprinkle berries on top of batter; do not stir. Sprinkle ¼ cup of sugar over the mixture; do not stir.


 Bake cake in the lowest rack of the oven 50-60 minutes, or until cake portion is golden and the berries get all juicy .  Keep in mind, the center will take longer to bake so hang in there. I have a convection oven and it took about 45min. If cake is getting too brown around the edges but the center is too wet, cover with foil till done. 
Can serve warm, right out of the pan, with vanilla ice cream or pour cream over some in a bowl.   But it’s good at room temperature too.

No comments: