December 09, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

I decided to make Coconut Macaroons. Well first I couldn't find the coconut I bought. I remembered buying some unsweetened dried coconut at the health food store, for future use. I searched everywhere then remembered my freezer. There it was in a jar. 

So ok, then I looked at it and the recipe called for 2 1/2c. Darn, it didn't look like that in the jar. I decided to measure it anyway. And it turns out I barely made it so I decided to make a batch. I used the good vanilla paste too.

I made small ones like the recipe says. These coconut flakes are large tho so I think they needed to be larger cookies. They baked very fast and it was a good thing I was watching them. But I just tried one and they are different. I mean they are just like the reg. ones but....larger flakes with dried coconut was a bit crunchier. a bit chewier. Maybe they will soften up if I put them in a container. I do like them but they seem more fragile.

I was going to dip them in chocolate but decided against it with this batch. I do want to make more tho cuz I can see these disappearing in the next few days hehehe.



I'm thinking of maybe making some cookie doughs tho at least so it will be ready for when I'm in the mood. I bought a cookie mold tray that had cute lil designs for Christmas cookies. So I might use it to make some sugar cookie or perhaps some of my gingerbread. 
Coconut Macaroons
Unsweetened shredded coconut is available in health food stores. You can also use sweetened shredded coconut (reduce the sugar in the recipe from 3/4 cup to 1 tablespoon).
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups (about 3 ounces) unsweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Use your hands to mix well, completely combining ingredients.

Dampen hands with cold water. Use 1 1/2 tablespoons to form mounds; place on prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.

Bake until golden brown, 16 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool on a wire rack. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

You can put chocolate chips in them if you want or melt some to dip the baked Cookie in.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Those look wonderful. :)