October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal cookies with a Cream Cheese Glaze

I was looking for a rolled and cut out pumpkin spice cookie. Most are just sugar cookies with spice added. I'm sure they are good but that's not what I wanted. I found a recipe for a refrigerated cookie with spice and pumpkin but they were slice and bake. But I figured I could roll them out. Then as I looked at the recipe there were no eggs or leavening or anything. Just didn't seem right. So I took that recipe and added my own stuff. This is what I came up with.

These still are not quite what I was looking for. They are a puffy, cake type cookie. You would have to use a cookie cutter that is simple. Details simply wouldn't show. So this recipe is still a work in progress. I will say it was tasty tho. I felt it needed an icing , my bf didn't. But I decided to make one anyway. I didn't want just a plain old glaze, I wanted some flavor so I made one cream cheese based. I love it and will use this again on other things.

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Cookies Make about 3 1/2 dozen

1c. butter, softened
2c. organic sugar
1c. pumpkin puree
3c flour
2 eggs
2c. oats
1 1/2 tb. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. b. powder
1 tsp. b. soda

Cream butter, slowly adding sugar, beating till light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat again. Mix dry ingredients..flour, salt, spice, b. powder and b. soda. Alternate adding flour mixture, then pumpkin, till all is incorporated. Add oats and mix well. Put dough into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill till firm enough to handle. 


Flour board. Put extra flour on the board in a corner to dip the cookie cutter in. I used a lg. Pumpkin shaped cutter to make mine. Depending on the size you use, depends on how many you get. Take 1/4 of the dough and put on the floured board, add more flour to top and roll around on the board to coat. It is a bit sticky so you want to coat it enough to be able to roll out and cut. Make about 1/8th in. thick.

Dip cutter in flour and cut out pumpkins. Dip each time. I put mine on a baking sheet covered with a silpat sheet. You could use parchment too.
 

Bake each sheet pan about 15min. at 350 degrees. You want the cookies to firm up but not brown a lot. I lifted them up to check the bottom and if it was browning, I took them out. Then I took them off the pan onto a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough.


Cream Cheese Glaze
4oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tb. milk
2c. powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese with vanilla and milk. Slowly add the sugar 1/2c at a time till smooth. Check consistency. Remove about 3 tb. and set aside. This will be colored later with green food coloring to use on pumpkin stems. Add orange food coloring to remainder and stir well to distribute color. 


I wanted it a bit stiff so this worked good for the initial piping. I piped a thin row of icing around the pumpkin shape first on all of them. Then I added 1 tsp. milk at a time till it made a thin glaze. This I gently spooned on the cookie to fill in. Run it up to the piped edge and smooth it out. Do all cookies. You don't need alot of icing for each, perhaps a tsp or so .

 Let dry awhile. Thin the green icing with some milk. I just drizzled a bit over the end of the stem part till it was coated. Set aside till dry.

4 comments:

Heather said...

These look delicious! Love cream cheese!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Very festive! Since losing weight, this is the only way to have cookies through a photo! LOL! Happy Halloween!

Unknown said...

those are adorable! yum! p.s. thanks for being a Frosted Follower!

hugs! Kim @ Frost Me!/Party Frosting!
party inspiration

Lili said...

These came out great and I almost forgot that I knew how to float the icing like this too, I needed a refresher for the upcoming cookie making season! Love pumpkin anything. ~Lili