November 09, 2009

Taco Bake


I made this for dinner tonight, its not my usual fare. My bf loves boxed mac and cheese. I eat it now and then but could live without it. In fact I hate the boxed stuff so much I tease him and ask him if he wants paste in the box for dinner tonight. He also loves tacos and lately the tortillas are just too much for us. Getting old here and the flour tortillas sit like lead in our tummies. So most times I made taco salad so we can enjoy the flavor but not suffer. Then I came across this recipe.

I found it in some old magazines I was going thru. Again its not the type I usually make but my back is hurting and I didn't want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen so I thought Id try this tonight. As usual I never leave it completely alone. I added a few things and over time I may change it again. But this is what I made tonight. I made my own taco mix, its ez.


TACO BAKE SERVES 6

1 pkg. (14oz.) mac & cheese mix
3/4 c. sour cream (I used fat free)
1 1/2c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. salsa

TACO SEASONING MIX     

2 tsp. instant minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. crushed dried red pepper
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. instant minced garlic

Combine all ingredients, seal and store. This equals one of those pkgs.

TACO FILLING:

1 lb. ground beef
1 small can of green chilies
1/2 can of tomato paste
1c. water
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning Mix or the homemade equivalent.

Brown beef, drain off excess grease. Add water and seasoning mix. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes till thick. Stir occasionally. Makes filling for 8 to 10 tacos.

First preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Make mac and cheese according to pkg. directions. Add sour cream to completed dinner. I used fat free sour cream trying to lose some of the fat in this meal. I also drained well the ground browned beef before adding the rest of ingred.

Layer half the mac & cheese on bottom of casserole, then top with meat mixture spreading evenly. Top with remaining mac & cheese and pour salsa over all. Bake for 15 min. till cheese is melted and casserole is heated thru.

I served this with a quick salad of chopped avocado, tomatoes and onion with lettuce. I used a homemade Italian vinaigrette that I make. I just sprinkle some garlic powder, oregano, S & P over all the veggies. I drizzle olive oil over all and mix well, then taste. Adjust seasonings then sprinkle on some red wine vinegar to taste and toss.

1 comment:

Solange Belém said...

Humm... I love taco.
Nunca tinha comido taco antes, mas, agora eu gosto muito. Essa receita, então...deve estar uma delícia!
Abraços

Sol