March 08, 2009

Beef Ribs to die for!

I used to make beef ribs long ago when my kids were younger. They were a cheap meal and we loved them. Beef ribs are no longer as cheap as they used to be but when you find a sale on them, you must try this recipe. When we used to go to Florida every summer to Disneyworld, we would go to a restaurant there that served all you can eat beef ribs. These ribs were so good, that my daughter pulled a loose tooth from her mouth that was getting in the way, just so she could enjoy them.

I used to boil them years ago and then BBQ them on the grill. They were good but I never thought they were awesome so I stopped making them. But I stumbled upon this recipe online and tried it tonight. OMG you must make these!!!! They are rich and crusty and the garlic and herbs are thru the ribs. I served them tonight with a baked potato and a green salad. Two ribs truly are plenty. I bought a big pkg. from the grocery store tho and froze them so I had to make the whole thing today when I thawed them. I will do with the leftover ones like I do with my regular pork ribs, Ill freeze the leftovers and then reheat for another meal another day.

It never dawned on me tho to make these like this. When I make prime rib, my dog gets the bones. What was I thinking! These are prime ribs! So now the pooch gets whats left on the bone and with these, hehehe theres not much. Poor poochy.


Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Beef Ribs

4 lbs. beef spare ribs (about 8-10 ribs)
1 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbs. powdered garlic
1 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. dried rosemary
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 tsp. powdered bay
1 tsp. ground white pepper
3 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground celery seed

Preheat oven to 300. Line a sheet pan with foil and set aside. Unwrap your ribs and put them into a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Set aside while you prepare the marinade. (I didnt have any bags this size so I put it in a huge bowl and made sure they were all coated with the marinade.)

Start the marinade:
Put the olive oil in a medium-sized bowl. Mash up your garlic, either with a garlic press or by mincing it really well then mashing it with the flat of your knife. Toss in the powdered garlic, onion powder, dried rosemary, fresh thyme leaves, powdered bay leaf, ground white pepper, kosher salt, sugar, and ground celery seed. Whisk with a fork until well combined. The marinade will the fairly thick and goopy. (I didnt do this, I used my food processor to grind the spices and added the oil. I kept running it till the spices were fine. This way you dont have to smash the garlic either, just peel it and toss in the processor.)

Grab your bagged-up ribs. Pour the marinade into the bag over the ribs. Seal the bag up well. Holding the bag, smoosh the marinade around so that it coats the ribs fairly evenly. (Like I said I used a huge bowl. I let them marinate 1hr., it was plenty.)

Roast the ribs:
Remove the ribs from the bag and lay them out evenly on your prepared sheet pan. Put the pan in the oven and roast at 300 degrees for about a half an hour. After a half an hour, yank the pan out of the oven. Crank the heat up to 350 degrees. By now, your ribs will have started to develop their crust. (I turned mine over at this point so they would evenly brown.)


Put them back in the oven for about 50-60 minutes. They’re done when the ribs are brown and have a glorious crust. If you pull at a rib with a fork, the meat should come away easily. Serve and enjoy!

** Zapping the spices in a small blender or a mortar and pestle, and grinding them, will get more flavor from them then. I also doubled the marinade since I had almost twice as many ribs that the recipe called for.

1 comment:

oregonphotography said...

Your beef ribs look luscious. I will have to try them. I am going to follow your blog. Best to you!

Thom
BBQing Tips From Deep In The Heart Of Oregon