May 09, 2008

Crispy Chicken Wings with Lemon Dip

I took a cooking class with Martin Yan from the Yan Can Cook tv show many years ago. This is one of his recipes. Its very good and Ive made it for parties before.

I got to talk to Mr. Yan after the class a bit. When I told him I had made Peking Duck he was very impressed and signed my book. Somewhere around here I have a picture.

Crispy Chicken Wings with Lemon Dip

12 chicken wings

4c. oil

Chicken Marinade:

1 1/2 tb. wine

1/1/2 tsp. ginger juice

1/2 tsp. garlic juice

1 tsp. salt

1tb. cornstarch

1 egg

Can also add 1tsp. sesame oil if you want for more flavor

Lemon Dip:

1/4 c. soup stock

3 tb. fresh lemon juice

1 tb. rice vinegar

1 tb. soy sauce

1 tsp. lime juice

1 tsp. sugar

Make marinade and pour over chicken wings. Marinate for about 2hrs. Mix lemom dip mixture in a bowl and set aside. Heat oil in wok over high heat. Deep fry chicken wings. Reduce heat to med. if chicken is browning too quickly. Remove wings and drain. To serve , dip chicken wings in dip and enjoy.

I have a note here on the recipe that the sauce may be thickened too. You would use one part cornstarch to 2 parts liquid. You would have to add it to the Lemon mixture and heat till thickened.

The ginger and garlic juice can be made by squeezing both in a garlic press. If you just chop it and add it, they will burn in the oil.

COO COO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just telling the kids yesterday about the Yan Can Cook. They looked at me like I made him up. As soon as I can grab them...I am dragging them back here to show them someone else remembers.

Anonymous said...

When I came across this recipe for crispy chicken wing with a lemon dip, my mouth started to water! I particular like the sound of the lemon dip which goes with the chicken and it looks quite an easy recipe to prepare etc.
Unfortunately I don't know the chef 'Martin Yan' however, if this is just one of his recipes I think I'm going to enjoy finding out more about him and his recipes.

Thanks for sharing this mouth watering recipe!