March 26, 2008

STRAWBERRY NUT LAYER CAKE


I haven't made this in years but as I recall it was soooooo yummy. I got this recipe from a friends sister many moons ago. It makes a great birthday cake. I couldn't find a picture of it online that matched exact but the one you see is close if you make the strawberry frosting too. I often will use a box mix because they save time but I like to make them feel more homemade with additions.

STRAWBERRY NUT LAYER CAKE

1 box Duncan Hines Strawberry Cake mix (or use yellow cake mix)
1 c. frozen strawberries (fresh can be used but use really ripe ones)
1 c. shredded coconut (I would use unsweetened)
1 c. Crisco oil
1 sm. box of Strawberry Jello
1 c. pecans, chopped
4 eggs
1/2c. milk

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees. Follow directions on layer cake box for time for layers. As I recall this was a tall cake of four layers so make sure you have enough pans.

Frost with Dream whip or the following frosting....

Strawberry Frosting

1 box (1lb.) powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/2c. strawberries
1/2c. coconut

Mix well and spread on cake or use to fill layers and top with Dream Whip or Whipped cream.

You could also top this with a Cream Cheese Frosting with some strawberries mixed in it and it would be yummy.

Almond Cake

Another cake that I made from mixes that everyone raved about was an Almond Cake. I used a butter cake mix and added chopped almonds and almond extract. Then I made a vanilla pudding mix to use as filling and added some almond extract to that. To top it I just whipped some heavy cream and added a bit more almond extract to that. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve.

No comments: