March 15, 2008

Chicken Marsala


Long ago my first restaurant job was at a small gourmet shop. It had all the greatest gourmet knives and pottery and things like that and most of my paycheck went back into that place. Warning! If your into kitchen stuff stay away from places like these! hehehe. It was the place where I started out as a clerk for a week and the chef asked me to come in and help him. He liked me so much he told the owner that I work with him from now on. When he left I took over the kitchen. I used to make this recipe once in the while for the luncheon crowd.

One man in particular loved it so much it ended up being the regular thing I made for him on Fridays when he came in whether it was on the menu or not. The owner made sure I spoiled this man . He came in week after week just to have my Marsala. One day he asked me to marry him! I laughed and told the man sorry I'm already married. Many years later a gf of mine ran into him. He is a therapist and somehow she mentioned me . They talked a bit more and omg years later this man still remembered me! His nurse over heard this conversation, seems it took him many years but he eventually married his nurse. When she heard the story of him wanting to marry me so fast she said OMG it took him 10yrs to ask me! I just laughed. Maybe she should have fed him my Chicken Marsala ......hehehe.

CHICKEN MARSALA SERVES 6-8

6-8 boneless chicken breasts pounded to about 1/4 in. thick

1/4 c. butter or olive oil

flour, salt and pepper to taste

1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced fine

1/4-1/2 c. Marsala or dry sherry

1/2 tsp. dried marjoram

Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixed with S & P to taste. Melt butter or heat oil in skillet. Saute mushrooms till tender and remove from pan. Brown chicken on both sides. Add garlic, Marsala and marjoram and return mushrooms to pan. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 20min. or till chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with a bit of parsley and serve.

I like to saute in a mix of butter and oil. The oil tends to keep the butter from burning. This is great with a bit of rice and a nice side dish of vegetables......maybe asparagus.



No comments: