December 06, 2007

Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie


I saw this on tv the other day and it just looked so yummy I had to find the recipe. Im gonna make this with my leftovers. I used my holiday leftovers to make my own version and it was awesome. This is definitely a keeper.




Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground turkey or chopped leftover turkey

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
2 carrots, peeled and grated
4 ribs celery, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons flour

2 cups turkey or chicken stock (recommended: Kitchen Basics brand)
A few dashes Worcestershire sauce

1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
1 very ripe banana
A few dashes hot sauce

2 cups shredded sharp yellow CheddarPreheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add meat and break up with a wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.

Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, salt and cook 15 minutes until tender.

Grate onions and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, cook 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute then whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Thicken a few minutes.

Stir peas into meat and turn heat off.

Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining butter and melt over medium

heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and set in oven. Bake to melt cheese, 5 minutes.

*** My version: I used the turkey left from the bird and just chopped it into bite size pieces. I used S & P and a tsp of thyme because I didnt have poultry seasoning. I chopped the onion and sauteed it with the turkey. I grated the carrot and celery. I misread the recipe and it should have been chopped and I will next time but it still was yummy.

I used leftover homemade gravy instead of making the recipe one here. I added the Worchestershire to it tho and a touch more once all was mixed in the pan since I felt it needed a bit more zing. I tossed the peas in with everything I put in the casserole dish since it was all very hot. I even added about a cup of leftover stuffing. Then I topped with homemade mashed potatoes made with sour cream that was left from the holiday too. My bf and son dont like sweet potatoes so I substituted that. Finally I topped it all with the cheese and baked it a bit longer than what it says here to be sure its heated thru well and hot. Everyone loved it and said make it again!

No comments: